The original dwelling, situated in the “Oak Paddock” had five
chimneys and therefore incurred a hearth tax of 10/- according to the records of 1665.
On the 15th October, 1704 Lismacue was purchased by
William Baker, ancestor of Kate Nicholson, for the sum of £923. Since then
the house has been continually occupied by the family. Sir Augustine
Baker, a solicitor, was President of the Incorporated Law Society in 1903.
He compiled the family history in 1922, just before the Public Record
Office was burned down.
Click here to see the Baker family album.
The present house was completed in 1813 to
the design of architect William Robertson.
It is a classically proportioned Irish
country house set in 200 acres and approached by one of the most
impressive lime tree avenues in Ireland, planted c.1760 by Hugh Baker.