The original dwelling, situated in the Oak Paddock had five chimneys and incurred a hearth tax of 10/- according to the Hearth Tax records of 1665.
On the 15th October 1704 Lismacue was purchased by William Baker, ancestor of Kate Nicholson, for the sum of £923. Since then the estate has been continually occupied by the family. Sir Augustine Baker, a solicitor, was President of the Incorporated Law Society in 1903. He compiled the family history in 1922, just before the Public Record Office was burned down.
The present house was completed in 1813, to the design of architect William Robertson.
It is a classically proportioned Irish country house set on 200 acres and approached by one of the most impressive lime tree avenues in Ireland, planted c.1760 by Hugh Baker.
The Avenue - April 1900
Lismacue is a beautifully maintained model of country house splendour with high ceilings and intricate plasterwork, broad staircases and gloriously stained pine floors. Differing architectural styles can be discerned between the main building, the wing, and The Coach House.
The Avenue - June 2022
– Emilia D, Tripadvisor